With Britain’s hospitality industry serving more than 8.3 billion meals each year, people working in the catering industry have an important role in helping and encouraging people to eat a healthy, balanced diet.
This course provides caterers, food service providers and catering students with the skills and knowledge they need to offer creative and healthier menus. It provides information on healthier cooking practices, and shows how to select healthier ingredients, as well as how familiar recipes can be simply adapted to create healthier menu selections. It has been developed with the advice of catering students and leading catering companies.
The course covers:
- Module 1: The Need for Healthier Catering
- Module 2: The Essentials of Nutrition
- Module 2A: Vitamins & Minerals – functions and sources
- Module 3: Menu Planning and Identifying Healthier Options
- Module 4: Healthier Preparation and Cooking Practices
- Module 5: Recipe Modification
- Module 6: Food Service and Marketing
- Module 7: Healthy Menus for All
Each module has an end test, providing you with feedback on your progress. Further reading is also suggested.
On successful completion of a final course assessment, a personalised BNF certificate is created. (The final assessment may be repeated.)
This course will take approximately 4-5 hours to complete. You can complete the course at your own pace – there is no time limit.
BNF would like to thank Westminster Kingsway College for piloting some of the training modules, Brakes for their support in creating some of the videos, and also Public Health England and leading catering companies for reviewing the content.